Saturday, January 22, 2011

Well, no turning back now!

After reading my friend's blog the other day, I thought I would give blogging another whirl.  I didn't do so well with updating my last one but figured if I could somehow make this my professional/personal blog that maybe it would be a little easier to update.  We'll see!   I needed a place to "count my blessings" {if you will}, as well as share photos of clients, friends and family.

After the craziness of the holidays, fall sessions galore, family gatherings, snow days and some issues with my husbands job, I thought it would be a perfect time to count my blessings and find reasons to smile!  I am a smiler by nature and I am a happy person the majority of the time, but there are so many times that I just can't smile.  I know it's ok to not be happy all of the time, those closest to me get to see or hear my wrath on those non-smiling days.  Only because I love them and know I can be a bear and they will still love me and think no less of me when I'm finished.  To you, I am forever thankful!!!!!

Mike {my husband} and I have been married for 11 years and together for 21!  I am 35, so yes, we have grown up together, been through virtually everything together, laughed and cried together.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  We have molded each other and ourselves along the way and are closer now than we have ever been!  We have a strong marriage {that has not been free of disappointments and trials}, strong faith {that has been tested many times along our journey}, and strong family ties and bonds {that have also been tested through the years}.  We have proven to so many that true love exists and not only does it exist, but it gets truer and happier each day.  Whenever we are struggling with something, we know without a doubt that the other's "got our back" and if we're wrong we'll tell each other and we are not too proud to say, "I'm sorry"!  We are not perfect, we fuss and argue and pick and nag, but we do not go to bed mad and we do not argue in front of our children.  He is, without a doubt, my soul mate and one true love!  His personality, wit, humor and smarty pants comments give me a smile every day, but he also knows when I need a hug or to hold my hand for that smile!

And on to my awesome children...  I have two of the cutest little guys you've ever seen!  Miles is 5 and Britton is 3.  Both are blessings and battles!   I think my children have made me madder than I've ever been and happier than I've ever been all at the same time.  There are no words to describe it, but for all of you mother's and father's out there, you know what I'm talking about.  Miles is my cuddly, intelligent, artsy, musical, people pleaser, talker, joker, back-talker, arguing, get the last word in, mommy's boy, prince!  Britton is my mischievous, sly, athletic, funny, brutally honest, smart, wild, silly, funny face maker, all boy, sugar sweet, daddy's boy, baby!  They both tell me that they'll never get too big to hug and kiss me and that I am their princess!  All 3 of my guys treat me like their princess each day and tell me how beautiful I am, even when I wear my pj's all day, don't brush my teeth until lunch time, have Bozo hair {which is most days}, and don't have on a stitch of make-up!  That's true love and I am so grateful for these special boys and what each of them mean to me!  That is an enormous reason to smile!

My family has always been close and my parents have always played big rolls in my life!  I was extremely close to my grandparents and my sister and I are best friends!  I couldn't ask for a better family!  My dad has always told me that "other than the Lord, Jesus Christ, he loves me and my sister more than anything in this world".  I believe him more now than ever, after having children of my own.   I did no wrong in his eyes!  I am a hugger because of him, and if you know either of us, you know that we are huggers.  Almost to a fault...  but I wouldn't change it, even if I may make a non-hugger uncomfortable {which I have and will again}.  My mom is very strong willed {I did not get one ounce of that from her, but wish I did}.  She is a wonderful mother that has always taught me to be who I am and don't change for anybody unless I feel that I should.  She is also a wonderful grandmother to my boys and niece!  She is a true friend that would drop everything if I needed her and I do often!  I've always been able to talk to her and tell her anything.  She's always been my biggest cheerleader!  My grandmother was my spiritual and cooking teacher, not to mention the only person in my family that I favor!  I knew that I wanted to be the kind of woman she was and I wanted to cook like her too.  She was a huge influence in my life, as were all of my grandparents.  My sister has always been my best friend, well after about the age of 6!  Before that she was the sister that bothered me and my friends when we played Barbies and she would always get her way {she still gets her way most of the time}!  After that, we played great together, told each other everything and just enjoyed one another's company. We have been through a lot together and she has grown to be such a great wife and mother and it just makes me so proud to be her big sister!  We look up to each other and if we need to vent, laugh, cry or scream, we can call each other and do it together.  She's my silly friend that sings with me in the car, protects me from the meanies, and tells me if my outfit makes me look fat.  Her daughter Kinlee is my sweetie and she is the smartest little 2 year old I've ever met.  She's a talker just like her mother and me!  My family makes me smile and I love every second I get to spend with each of them!

My in-laws are the WORLD'S BEST IN-LAWS!  I should make coffee cups that say this and give to them - ha!  I'm not sucking up, I really mean it!  All of Mike's family is amazing and some of my best friends are in his family!  Each one of them has played a positive part in my life and I can honestly say that I have never, ever been mad at anyone in his family {other than him}.  That's crazy isn't it?  Well, there was this one time... ok I won't go there but I've only had very few instances where I've been even remotely upset with any of them.  I feel very much a part of that family and not like an in-law {or out-law}.

My friends make me smile on a daily basis and I have the best, most precious, fun, thoughtful, amazing friends that anyone could ever have!  Friends that cook for my family, keep my children, send me scripture, text me with funnies, call me to chat, plan fun outings, love my family and just make me feel loved!  I can't imagine my life without them!

My biggest reason to smile is my Lord and Savior!  I live and breathe for Him and know that I can not do this thing called life without Him!  Just a little talk with Jesus makes it all better.  If I can't sleep, I pray.  If I'm stressing out, I pray.  If I just want to cry, I pray.  If I'm mad, I pray.  If I need advice, I pray.  If I have good news, I pray.  If I have a great day, I pray!  I pray for myself and for others every day and that is what gets me by.  If you don't know Jesus, you should!  I'll be discussing Him in greater detail throughout my blogging journey.

I know this was a very loooong and drawn out first post but I wanted to talk about my life a little and those that are most important to me.  Now that we have all of the "get-to-know-me-stuff" out of the way, my upcoming posts will be shorter and with some sort of flow and order.  I've decided to close with this song by Uncle Kracker {which is normally not my very favorite artist, but for this song - I love him} - "You Make Me Smile".   My boys and I sing the chorus of this almost every day and I just thought it was appropriate for my closing.

Find something to smile about each day!
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment